Author Topic: Two more words: Lurm Oxide  (Read 993 times)

Aerei

• View Profile
Two more words: Lurm Oxide
« on: July 29, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
I saw this once when long dead and watching the spectator cam, and like a trainwreck, I just couldn't look away. It was an Oxide, pre rescale mind you, with two LRM5, a NARC, and moved less than 110 kph. It was predictably horrible, but...of all the bad mechs I've seen, I've never and never since seen a mech quite so horrible. I think it looked something like this.

I think what makes this build really bad for me though was that is was a carefully calculated build. It's bad, I think that's obvious, but the person knows enough to realize NARCs drastically improve his LRMs, and knows that you can squeeze in more ammo with weight manipulation (in this case...the bad decision to put in a smaller engine and a heat sink for one more ton of ammo). More to the point...two LRM5s? It's a 10 point alpha with none of the DPS associated with low alpha mechs, with one of the most easily countered weapons in the game. I just have no words for this. Someone spent real money to make that.

GMan129

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Two more words: Lurm Oxide
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:09:31 AM »
theres not many ways to make that worse, really. put it on an atlas maybe

Kostaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:14 PM »
I think what makes this build bad is not necessarily the lurms. I mean, if we accept that lurms as currently implemented are an unfun and therefore terrible choice, what makes THIS mech bad is the opportunity cost.

You didn't just make a lurm boat....you castrated one of the best 'Mechs in the game to do it.

If I handed you a blank piece of paper and you drew a crass stick figure person with a tiny stick figure penis, and then tried to claim it was art, that would be one thing.

But if I handed you a fucking Monet, and you painted it completely white and THEN drew the same stick figure, that would be more akin to what we have here.

Aerei

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:56:50 PM »
Not just that, but it's also very slow as a result. Slow light is dead light.

Also...if I were to deface a good SRM light for LRMs, I'd at least use the Jenner IIC. 6 LRM 5s is at least  (kinda) respectable by LRM boat standards. And it can jump. And you don't have to spend (waste) real money for that.

In other news....

It's like TehB33f's trolly stalker, only slower, and with 20 less damage. This mech's either a really bad attempt at trolling, or a really bad attempt at mech designing. You decide.

The fact that it's the chassis with more missile tubes, the quirks (iirc) for LRM20s, and the fact it has more ammo for the long haul make me think there was some genuine thought put into this though, and that worries me.

Oh and the fact that merely switching to LRM 15s + Artemis and using Endo Steel allows you to put in a STD 285, so there's that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:04:33 PM by Aerei »