Author Topic: Anyone using GTX 970 in SLI?  (Read 1598 times)

Kostaki

• View Profile
Anyone using GTX 970 in SLI?
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
I got a pair of GTX 970s for Christmas. When I put power to them both, SLI bridge or not, I can boot to my desktop for about 15 seconds, then I get a BSOD with this error:

VIDEO TDR FAILURE

If I only have power going to one card, everything works perfectly, I get good framerates, etc. The problem only exists when trying to use 2 cards. All the research I've done says 1000W is plenty to power both cards.

Has anyone else had this sort of a problem? None of the Google search results provided any help. Everyone experiencing this error gets for all configurations. I only get it for SLI.

Here's my system:
CPU: i7 - 3770K
RAM: 16GB
OS DISK: 4x 256GB SSD RAID0
Storage: 4TB 7200 RPM
PSU: 1000W Corsair Gold Certified
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79_DELUXE

Kostaki

• View Profile
Re: Anyone using GTX 970 in SLI?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
And, I don't know why this wasn't the first thing I tested...but one of the cards was DOA. It just happened to be the card I put in the second PCIe slot.

The computer boots up on the primary slot just fine and you never know anything is wrong until you enable SLI. Windows 10 just really sucks at error messages.

When I installed Windows 7 and tried to enable it, the problem was pretty apparent. Swapped the cards to confirm. Thankfully, Newegg issued an RMA.

If you see the VIDEO TDR FAILURE error, and are running SLI, make sure you check both cards individually first. The error is the one you usually get for heat problems, which is what was really throwing me. In my case, the card wasn't overheating...it was a part of the board associated with the thermal sensor that failed.

GMan129

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »
Sorry to hear that. On the bright side, you still have a card to use while you RMA!

Kostaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »
Yeah, NewEgg was really cool about the RMA process, very easy to deal with. I didn't have to contact EVGA, though from what I've heard they are pretty cool about it too.

Also, the GTX 970 was a moderate improvement over the GTX 680 that I was using. I have a 144Hz monitor, and my framerate in game is now 120-140, so I can't ask for more than that.

The only reason I wanted SLI in the first place is that I also got a new 28" 4K monitor to game with, but a single GTX 970 will run MWO at about 15 -20 FPS at that resolution.

I'm hoping that in SLI, I can get close to 60.

Also, if you are looking for a QUIET single (or multiple) card solution, this EVGA card I have, under full Futuremark load, has gotten as high as 80'C and the fans are still too quiet to hear over anything else in my case.

GMan129

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:16:38 AM »
yeah evga does good shit. fair warning though, sli probably wont get you much in MWO - its not optimized well for it and at any rate, MWO is more cpu- than gpu-intensive

Kostaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »
Finally got the replacement card and installed it last night and ran some tests.

I'm getting 170FPS @ 1920 x 1080. When my 'Mech gets close to overheating, or there are other heavy steam/smoke effects on the screen, it drops to 150FPS.

Still meets my goal of 144 or better.

Haven't tested it at 4K resolutions yet.

You are right though. I found someone with the same GPU configuration, but using a newer Haswell-E processor. His framerate is nearly DOUBLE mine.

Some of those gains could also be from a newer motheboard, PCIe bus, RAM specs, etc, but I'm sure most of it is the newer CPU with 2 more physical cores. We're both running the same 4.5GHz clock speed.

He may be doing some OC on the GPUs, I didn't check. Mine are running out-of-the-box.

Kostaki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »
Just a PSA to anyone considering a larger display:

Don't fucking bother.

The game runs great, and matches are beautiful. I was getting 40-50 FPS, which is not amazing, but still very easily playable....if you can get into a match. That requires pushing the Launch button. Good fucking luck, as now your mouse cursor, which HAS UI scaling, is 400x larger than the Launch button, which does NOT have UI scaling. Most of the UI buttons and menus occupy 1-4mm of the screen. Most can't be read.

Now, I know that UI scaling is an extremely new concept that most game developers haven't implemented yet since it was just introduced...in 199FUCKING3. Two goddamned decades ago, and a cutting-edge game doesn't use it?

One of the strengths of fucking CryEngine was the "flash-like UI that scales"!! What the fuck?

Kostaki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »
Just an update to this post.

Several patches ago, they fixed the UI scaling issue, and I've been playing at 4K ever since.

However, Nvidia just issued a class-action refund on this particular card. If you own a 970 (or multiples) be sure to sign up to get your $30 back.